Thursday, September 23, 2010

Another day - Another Goodwill find.



Here is my latest find at the Goodwill thrift store. Wednesdays are senior day and it is always crowded but being a senior means I get a 25% discount, so we always stop there before we do our grocery shopping.

So I picked through all the dolls that they had available and I see this big doll and it is heavy. Had a battery area in its backside and the contacts inside the case look clean and the doll, who you could tell had been played with, was dirty plus the hair was messy. The price was good so we bought her.

When we got home I washed her and her jumpsuit and then brushed out the messy hair and set it and put her out in the sun to dry. After she was dry I combed out the curls in her hair and put them back in the little ponytails that the doll was set up to have.

Then it was time to do some research and see if I could find out what kind of doll it was. After an hour or so looking though collectibles dolls and a few other websites, I found her. She is a Baby Loves to Talk doll, made in 1992 by Toy Biz Company. She was designed and sold as a promotion doll of the year in Toys R' Us. She was called the most innovative toy of the year in France and the best toy and doll of the year in Australia's Family Fun magazine who named her the Best Doll of the year.

Now that I found all that about her, I wanted to see if she talks. She requires 4 "C" batteries. I looked all over this house and could only find 3 "C" batteries. Bummer!! So in the car we go to the dollar store to get batteries as now we were both curious as to what she does. The store is less than 2 miles from the house so we were only gone about 10 minutes. Get back home and after fighting with the blister packs to get them open, hate blister packs, I put the batteries in and it said to kiss her forehead and tip her head. Nothing. Take the batteries out and try again. Nothing. Now this was getting frustrating and I was bound and determined to see if I could do something else to make her talk. Decided maybe the contacts needed to be cleaned so did that and put the batteries in again and then hit the reset button. She talked! Now we had to see what else she said so for about an hour we listened to her as she said different things and moved her mouth and blinked her eyes. She is soooo cute! Also in my research it said if she said a word wrong to repeat the word and she would say it right. It worked! What a great doll.

I know that some of you may remember this doll as it is only 18 years old and some may have had her as a child or bought one for your child. I am going to have a hard time parting with her but I will be selling her. I have so many dolls now and I know I will be buying more and I am quickly running out of room. I truly do enjoy the hunt for dolls of all kinds and then turning them into a clean like new doll for someone else to enjoy.

7 comments:

ashley said...

hey, do you know what the name of the doll is?

EvaJ said...

I can't remember right now but I only had her maybe a week when I sold her. I will look through all my pictures and maybe I can find the name. Thanks for asking

Anonymous said...

this gorgeous dolls is a baby loves to talk doll. She is from the year 1992. I have one but am looking for a replacement of original hair ties if anyone has any.

stephy said...

ESTA MUÑECA SE LLAMA "CAROL" BABY LOVE ES REALMENTE HERMOSA

stephy said...

esta muñeca se llama "carol" baby love es realmente hermosa yo tengo una hace 17 años

Sweetz said...

Do you still have this doll to sell?! I'm looking desperately for one!

Unknown said...

I wonder what a doll like this brand new in the box and never been used is worth today...I have three of these (two of which the kids used and used), one still in the box. I cant find a collector's value. Too sentimental to sell her.